Gone Sippin': The Profs at WSWA
We're off to Vegas, baby!
This year, the 73rd Wine and Spirits Wholesalers Convention (WSWA) is taking place in Caesars Palace, and this will be our second time in attendance. This annual convention is a meeting place to showcase wine, beer, spirits and mixer brands as well as new beverage trends from around the world to buyers, wholesalers, bartenders, beverage directors and members of the media from all over the country. Aside from grand tasting exhibitions during the day, we look forward to checking out some more intimate tasting rooms, cocktail competitions, the general sessions with guest speakers, talks such as The Business of Beverage, and of course, the receptions and parties! Here are more details:
- Two Exhibit Halls featuring the most innovative products
- Lower Level and Traditional Hospitality Suites
- Exciting Competitions, including the Wine and Spirits Tasting Competitions, the Call for Cocktails Mixology Competition, and the unique Wholesaler Iron Mixologist Competition - all hosted in partnership with The Tasting Panel Magazine and the Somm Journal and emceed by Tony Abou-Ganim, The Modern Mixologist
- Two General Sessions, sponsored by the Distilled Spirits Council of the United States (DISCUS), featuring keynote speaker Aron Ralston, fearless adventurer and subject of the hit film 127 Hours
- The Opening Night Reception, sponsored by the Presidents' Forum of the Distilled Spirits Industry
- Taste of the Industry, a grand tasting open to all registered exhibitors and attendees
- An information-packed U.S. Beverage Alcohol Forum with sessions on marketing, succeeding within the three-tier system, and launching brands and rolling-out new extensions, among other relevant topics
- This year's WSWA will recognize two industry giants: Tito Beveridge and Larry Ruvo.The WSWA Educational Foundation will present Tito Beveridge, founder of Tito's Handmade Vodka, with the Sidney Frank Award, given annually to a person who has made exceptional industry contributions in addition to noteworthy philanthropy and community service. The award is named for Sidney Frank, a leading innovator who built a number of successful brands and an extraordinary philanthropist.WSWA will present the Lifetime Leadership Award to Larry Ruvo, senior managing director with Southern Wine & Spirits of Nevada, a 40-year veteran of the industry. He is also the founder of the Cleveland Clinic Ruvo Center for Brain Health, an innovative, state of the art facility and research center for patients with cognitive diseases. The award is presented annually to a wholesaler whose contribution to the association, the beverage industry, and the community defines excellence, inspires loyalty and exemplifies leadership.
While we're there, we will obviously be quite busy, so we'll be taking a break from posting articles this week. However, expect your regularly scheduled academia next week!
What happens in Vegas,
Editor in Chief