Alcohol Professor Sipping in the Springtime
Team Alcohol Professor is finally on spring break!
While I’m not planning to take part in any wet t-shirt contests or jello wrestling (to my knowledge), I’m am at least flying south to Florida! I’m excited to be attending the Wine & Spirits Wholesalers of America (WSWA) convention in Orlando next week where I’ll be hobnobbing with suppliers, brand managers and fellow writers from around the country and beyond as we learn about new products, trends and techniques in the beverage industry.
Here’s just a sample of what I’ll experience there:
- New wines from lesser known regions (I’m hoping to see more from South America - particularly unsung heros like Brazil and Uruguay)
- A range of new spirits in rapidly growing categories, like Pisco, Mezcal and Cachaça
- House of Mandela, the South African winery started by Nelson Mandela's daughter and granddaughter
- JEVO, the world's first automated jello shot-making machine (hmmm, so maybe I wasn’t too far off with the jello thing)
- The Wholesaler Iron Mixologist and Call for Cocktails competitions
- Keynote speakers: Mike Krzyzewski—better known as "Coach K"—head of the legendary Duke University Blue Devils basketball squad, and Robert O'Neill, former U.S. Navy SEAL Team Six member to inspire the crowd
- A panel discussion led by Tony Abou-Ganim, a.k.a. “The Modern Mixologist”
- Taste of the Industry Grand Tasting
And what’s Adam been up to? He’s been busy this spring with the Berlin International Spirits Competition (BISC) and Berlin International Wine Competition (BIWC) that took place in March. He showcased the winners of these competitions and also the NY International Spirits Competition (NYISC) at Prowein in Munich later that month. He also just had a trip to Prague and Budapest to suss out that scene (hope he left some beer for everyone else.)
And now it’s time I took a break to explore the world of libations so I can continue to bring you the best of what it has to offer!
Cheers and happy spring, everyone! Sip well while we’re out and don’t forget to tweet at us @TheAlcoholProf to stay in touch and let us know what you’re imbibing!
Amanda Schuster, Editor in Chief